Saturday, February 16, 2008

No Soldering Required

I was going to make a small electronic circuit called an EQMOD which would allow the computer to talk directly to the stepper motors inside the EQ6 telescope mount. However with the latest version of the firmware for the mount handset there is what they describe as a "PC Direct Mode".
This can be found in the V3.21 of the handset firmware. With this mode you can just connect the PC to the handset and then the handset to the telescope mount as normal, but use the EQMOD software which gives a major improvement over the standard controls contained within the handset.

On other news I have contacted Nick Hudson at Tru-tech about my filter wheel and he has promised to put some replacement chips in the post

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So Skywatcher have finally got around to offering a PC direct mode? This will upset "Shoestring Astro" who sell a dongle at the ridiculously high price of $39. Nice one :-)

Being a purest (and a tight ass!) I made my own ($0) as my SynScan handset has v2 firmware and is not flash re-programmable.

You'll love EQMOD. It works great and is being constantly improved. I sit in the warm and image in comfort using THE SKY6 to move the telescope.

Glad to hear Nick has bunged some chips in the post. Just hope they are good ones!!

Happy Imaging... John