Saturday, March 12, 2011

Marmalade.

Spring is the time for oranges here on la Palma, and this year one of our own small orange trees has produced enough oranges to make all this years marmalade. Each 1kg of oranges should make 6 jars and I plan to do 3 batches this year.

The first batch is done but seems to have only produced 4.5 jars.

One jar of the first batch of marmalade fro 2011 First of this years marmalade.

Having read a bit I think I found the problem, As I used the smaller of the two large saucepans to make the marmalade I had to keep stirring to mixture to stop it boiling over, and this cooled the mixture down allowing more of the water to evaporate before the set point was reached.

For the second batch I used the larger saucepan, and also decided to try a new recipe from The book Preserves by Pam Corbin (This one of the River Cottage Handbooks) The recipe is a little simpler and seemed to work quite well. But we will have to wait a while to taste the result.

Second batch Second batch of Marmalade.

No comments: